Wednesday, November 2, 2011

To Tweet or Not to Tweet...Is that the question?



image: ncvs.blogspot.com

In the next couple weeks we'll be looking at social networking. I'm going to give you a few resources here so that you can come to class armed with some background knowledge. Basically, Twitter is a social networking tool...people that are connected together via a network. Twitter is also considered a "microblogging" tool. Although it doesn't have a traditional blog format, it can accomplish some of the same things...yet on a smaller..."micro" scale. Twitter only allows a person to use 140 characters per post...called a "tweet."


Read through this post from Jeff Utecht on how his use of Twitter as a teacher created some great communication opportunities for a class of 5th graders. 

Read this blog post by Lisa Nielsen on the Tech and Learning website about  different ways Twitter is being used in education. Here is a link to another of her posts about how tweets can be integrated into a class newspaper display using site called paper.li. It's a  pretty neat application that integrates with Twitter that could be used a variety of ways in a classroom.

Scan through this pretty good no nonsense list  with using twitter...practical advice, do's and don'ts, and an interesting list of things people say about the use of twitter.


Respond to :
What are your thoughts about Twitter? 
Do you have a new or different understanding or perspective about how teachers are using it? 
Is Twitter something you would like to investigate further or try out?
How do you see Twitter being used in a Personal Learning Network?


If you are especially interested in learning more about Twitter, here are a few good resources. 
If you want to see some other ideas you can page through 35 Interesting Ways to Use Twitter in the Classroom. (notice the Creative Commons licensing) Tom Barrett from the UK has put together a google doc presentation (if you click the link and open it, it will then be saved in your Google Docs) which compiles a myriad of ways Twitter is being used by educators all over the world. You can click the page for it to advance to the next slide...or there are navigational arrows in the bottom left corner of the page.

Here is a very good  Twitter tutorial video that shows you how to use many of the features of Twitter. The tutorial is divided into 2-3 minute clips each so you can use the table of contents at the left and click on the feature you want to learn about.

12 comments:

Pam said...

When I think of Twitter, I think of people following celebrities. The only way I ever thought the tool would be useful in a classroom was for students (and maybe parents) to follow me if I were to tweet homework updates and other messages pertaining to class. Seems like it could be useful in many other ways (lots of information in those links). I'd like to hear more about it.

anearlgirl said...

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the educational uses of Twitter. We will be learning more about it in the next couple weeks. It's a great, easy tool to learn and allows you to build a PLN very quickly.

Debbie McMahon said...

I agree with Pam, from what I know Twitter is used by music and movie stars. I have also heard it mentioned on the news "if you follow us with Twitter" local and national so I guess you could get updats on news and weather. When I think of using it like Pam I could Twitter daily assigments and test reminders.

Debbie McMahon said...

I thought it was interesting there was a comment that Blogs are out and Twiter is in. With that said, I was ready to get my students on my class blog, I will wait until I see if Twitter is a better tool.

anearlgirl said...

Twitter is a different tool than a blog but is often used along side a blog. A blog has a social element to it, but isn't really a social networking tool.
Twitter has been called a microblogging tool but is really intended to be a mechanism to connect people together. I will have lots of examples to show in class to give you an idea of how people are using it. It's pretty powerful in terms of building a PLN.

Lori said...

I also thought Twitter was just a way to "follow" people. I thought it was used the same as a facebook post. I am interested to learn more. I understand how it is a great tool to connect people. My concern about Twitter is the amount of time reading and posting. My husband already thinks I'm attached to my phone texting too much and on facebook too much. What will happen if I am tweeting and keeping up a blog. It hurts my back, neck and eyes just thinking about being on the computer so much! :)

anearlgirl said...

@Lori...everything in moderation. :)

Mr. Hurley said...

I am still not sold on Twitter. I do want to learn more, but when do you shut down? Is it shellfish of me to want to turn work off for a little bit? I have my iPad set to my school account and parents love that I get back to them fairly quickly, but I am also doing that at 10:00 at night.
I do like it as a communication tool and I will probably start using it in some form, but I will need to go through the videos.
I would like to experiment with it some more.

Anonymous said...

Like my classmates, I thought of Twitter mainly as a social tool to connect with tv personalities and celebrities. I was fascinated to read about the various ways that it could be used in an educational setting. However, since this is so new to me, I find it to be VERY confusing. Blog. Twit. Blog. Twit. ??? Like Debbie says, I too was contemplating a class blog...and now there's Twitter. How will this all work together and how will I learn it and stay on top of it all? I guess, time will tell.

Debbie McMahon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie McMahon said...

I feel pressure to respond quickly if someone sends me an email. I rarely use Facebook just because I don't like being tied to a computer. Hopefully Twitter won't require constant replying like Lori spoke of, I need a life.

MDD said...

TWITTER is new and interesting WHATS NEXT! After reading the post on how other teachers are using twitter the possibilities are endless. The way the teacher put the (best) post on his blog the amount of hits and the fact that other students around the world read the post and used the student information for classroom activies, how cool for that student. The student posting to twitter the possible 1000’s of people reading and responding it’s a great tool. How good would a student feel to have that kind of results?
Looking at the flip side of that, if the responses where on the negative what would that do to a student’s ego? I do realize you don’t have to read/pay attention to the negative.
The power of the blog/twitter is huge if I have 50 followers and my followers all have followers the hits are endless. The network of people communication/ learning/sharing “outstanding”. Being connected is the key to better teaching. The old way of keeping updated “is dated” the use of the web has changed the playing field for the better.
For me it’s getting started, the fear of looking “sorry sounding” stupid is holding me back. I could tweet about daily events/activities/student accomplishments and more. Reaching our community and beyond the feedback would be helpful. Twitter a micro quick way to communicate ideas/share and learn.