Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Understanding Creative Commons


image: http://www.newmediarights.org/taxonomy/term/77
 Although Creative Commons has been around nearly a decade, many teachers and students are unfamiliar with what it is and why they should know about it.  Creative Commons was founded out of the need for people who wanted to share content they created with other people on the web and not be bound by restrictive copyright licensing. Creative Commons licensing allows creators to decide how their work can be used, shared, and remixed by others. You might ask, "Well what does that have to do with what I do in my classroom?" Well...if you assign projects that require the use of any multimedia culled from the web such as video, audio, images, photography, etc...then Creative Commons has everything to do with what you do in your classroom.

The clip below I'd like you to watch is around 19 minutes long...and will explain what Creative Commons is and how it's used. The first 10 min and 45 seconds is the main content I'm interested in you learning...you're welcome to watch the whole thing....the rest of the clip gives examples of how people around the world are using it.



While you and your students may be creating and/or sharing content on the web that is not the primary reason  of teaching you about Creative Commons. My main purpose in exposing you to Creative Commons is from an "end user" or consumer standpoint like when you or your students are searching for content to use like pictures, music, video, audio, worksheets, etc

How does knowing about Creative Commons licensing change your thinking or perspective on your use or student use of content on the web?
Why is it important for all educators to be aware of, teach about, and/or adhere to Creative Commons licensing?

7 comments:

Debbie McMahon said...

Creative Commons is like the copyright for the Web. Students and teachers can only take or edit something that is in Creative Commons if they are given permission to do so.
I went on the Web recently typed in "writing equations projects" and found a great project whick I down loaded then editied to fit my purposes. Was I in violation? How can I tell in the future.

Lori said...

I do find myself wondering if the pictures I post, or things I copy from the internet are copied legally. I agree with the video that we live in a world where it is very easy to "cheat". I don't know if I totally understand the creative commons. I understand the concept but I am not sure where to look for the symbols mentioned. I don't remember ever seeing any of the symbols shown in the video on websites/pictures I have used. I always tell my students to give credit to the pictures they use but I still worry they are violating copyright laws. Why can't there be a way to have copyright pictures fixed so that they cannot be copied/pasted on other places? I understand you would still need to give credit to those that allow their things to be used but at least those who do not want them used would be protected. I have downloaded some labs that you can no longer get unless you pay for them. Am I in violation if I copy them now? Looking forward to learning more about CC.

Pam said...

I'm with Lori and Debbie in that I'm still not quite sure what's what. I've probably violated rules left and right. Here's my thinking: If something has a copyright trademark, you had better attribute the source, and I know from experience that sometimes the owners expect you to contact them and get an OK before you even use it. Then there's this Creative Commons mess with different levels of what you can use and how you are allowed to use it. Let me ask this: What if material has nothing with it--no CC restrictions and no copyright logo? Is that material free for the taking, or can users still get into trouble if they don't credit the source? I know to be safe we should always give credit, but are there ramifications for using unclassified material?

Mr. Hurley said...

I think knowing about Creative Commons changes the use for students on how we sight work. Students will have to give credit where credit is due.
I also think it is important for students to know how to share/maintain the rights of their own creations. Students are creating just as much content for the web as adults and they should get the credit for what they are doing.
Educators need to teach Creative Commons to students because they are creating a foundation to how students are getting information. It is also important for teachers to model what they are using and where they got the information.

Anonymous said...

While I am quite aware of copyrights for printed media, Creative Commons licensing is definitely something new to me. I instruct my students to give credit to the author for the text that they use from a particular site. However, I'm not sure that they really "get it". As their use of the internet grows, knowing why and how to to do will become increasingly important. Therefore, it is important for educators to teach their students about Creative Commons. The biggest hurdle now is to get all educators on board with Creative Commons licensing.

anearlgirl said...

After the next class creative commons will be more clear and I will show you how to search using creative commons content. The video was just an introduction to those of you that were not aware of CC at all. We will also talk some more about fair use and copyright near the end of the course. Copyright is a tricky subject, period.
Creative Commons is a movement that has steadily gained momentum as web 2.0 has grown, in order for people creating and sharing content to be more in control of how their content is used by others.
There is no content "free for the taking." Everything should be used with attribution at a minimum. I believe our responsibility as educators is to model and teach those ethics and skills to students as an academic expectation rather than a selective convenience.

MDD said...

It is tricky knowing what you can use /share/copy/use and change to your liking. The other day I found a great drill designed for large groups while inside “the golden egg for P.E. teachers” I used most of it the way it was written but changed some to fit my needs. The students and I love the new activity do I give credit to the writer/designer of the activity before I post it on my blog? I have changed the activity to fit my/our needs at Bedford. I found no symbols/icons on the site that indicated the need to give credit. I thing the activity was posted for all to use I’m I being foolish to think it’s out there for me to use?