Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Assignment from Class #7-- Oct. 25

For this week...

1. Do class quick check.

2. Do your class takeaways from this week on your google doc

3. Last night we discussed RSS as the delivery system between updated content on blogs, websites, wikis, etc. to you via your Google Reader account. Your task this week is to investigate sites, blogs, people, etc that you would like to follow and learn from. You can use some of the links I posted in the "What is RSS?" post to help you get started. Remember to look around the margins of web pages to find a link or icon related to RSS or Google Reader. Try to add 3-4 new subscriptions to your Google Reader and then play around to get more comfortable using and navigating in Google Reader. If you are having trouble finding feeds of interest try this one...Richard Byrne the author of the blog, Free Technology for Teachers, posts about 5 times a day offering different sites/tools that are free for teachers in a variety of subject areas. http://www.freetech4teachers.com/  Notice the RSS feed icon in the upper right corner (it's blue).
Remember, you can find support resources on youtube for Google Reader and here is "Getting started with Google Reader" .
Please post any questions you may have as you use Google Reader this week in this post's comment section and offer advice or help to others if you can.

4. As you are monitoring your Google Reader feeds this week, choose one thing you learned or found interesting and write a post on your own blog about it. If you reference a website, include that as a link in your post. (Remember, highlight the text then click on "link" to paste in the URL.)

5. Read the post "Managing your Digital Footprint" and respond.

Remember to call CMU to register for the class. Make sure you have that blue card from the packet I gave out when you call. Please register by November 15.

8 comments:

Lori said...

I am confused why this recent assigment post DID NOT show up on my igoogle. Also, I checked out a blog page my friend has and he changed it to a "website". Thought I could just add it by inserting his web address but I don't think it worked.

anearlgirl said...

Did you subscribe to my posts?
When you say igoogle...do you mean your Google reader widget you have on your igoogle page? If your friend has an rss feed on his webpage you will be able to subscribe even though it's not a blog. If you're having trouble locating a feed from his page, send me the link and I'll take a look at it too.

MDD said...

It’s scary to know that every time we buy something, use our GPS, and send Email etc. We are creating a digital footprint that will follow use for ever. The bad part of the digital footprint is how this information could be used. Damage our reputations, tracking in schools our job opportunities, damage to our credit and more. On the other hand a digital record of what we do and like is like a family tree created about you every day of our life. The applications are endless both good and bad. I do not like to be so accessible and would like to remain under the radar. But with today’s technology that is impossibly. WHAT I NEED TO DO IS GOOGLE MYSELF AND SEE WHATS OUT THERE!

Debbie McMahon said...

Hopefully this is in the right spot. Had trouble subscribing to blogs from home, my computer kept wanting to save the link as a favorite? I gave up and did it from school today. Lots of cool blogs out there, one I liked was called F(t). There were a number of interesting lessons along with some posts about teaching math in general. As I went through some of the posts a great deal was blocked by the school?

Debbie McMahon said...

If Google is tracking everyone how did they get permission? Just by using Google? What will they do with the information? I enjoy goggling to get information when I don't know something, but I can see the downside. A couple of years ago I got a strange phone call from a man that I attended a summer workshop with 20 years ago. I thought it was strange that he called but I played along with 15 minutes of conversation of my present life. A day later he called again and continued to call me even after I asked him to stop. When I dropped my home phone and began using just my cell he had no way to call so that was that. Well several months later he showed up at school during my lunch looking for me. He knew where I worked, and that it was my lunch......he had traveled here from Florida! WEIRD, probably got all the information by Googling me. He left the building, hopefully he can't find my address. SCARY.

anearlgirl said...

@deb...was the whole blog blocked? or just portions of it? Typically it's the embedded stuff that may be blocked...like youtube or vimeo videos but the rest of the content is usually viewable. Try to give me an example if you remember any of them so I can take a look.

Debbie McMahon said...

Just parts. Also, when downloading a cool site about math in movies, it came as a feed in internet explorer instead of google reader. This also occurred at home this weekend. How can I get these on my google reader?

anearlgirl said...

did your question get answered last night in class? When you click on the RSS link...you will be taken to a page that looks like a bunch of computer code...the URL will have the word feed or rss in it...copy that URL, go to google reader and click subscribe button at top of right sidebar and paste the URL in. that is the manual way to add a feed when the convenient google button isn't listed for the rss feed on a page.