Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Nudge

Ideally, I would like to see your final project something related to the focus you set for yourself at the onset of class, however I understand if your focus may have shifted over the course of the last few months based on what you have been learning and exploring.
The point of this project is for you to take an idea you have or have thought about...and DO IT. Sometimes a nudge is all that is needed to get off the ledge. It's easy to sit back and ponder and think about doing something that is uncomfortable or foreign or just plain scary...but you will never learn to do it, or how to do it, or how not to do it....until you DO IT.

You are not going to be evaluated on whether it comes out perfectly or is a completely finished product...hopefully, it won't be. Hopefully it will be the beginning of something. You are going to be evaluated on why and how it was developed and is intended to be used, what the purpose is, how you incorporate/demonstrate what you've learned in the class, how well thought out, designed and organized it is, as well as what is the vision or plan for it's use in the future. The final project is the IT and may be part of your final reflection paper. Part of your reflection can be explaining the answers to these questions as well as explaining any obstacles or failures or what didn't go the way you wanted and how you dealt with those disappointments and will change things as a result of them...in essence, what did you learn along the way?

If you've already started your project or have decided what you want to do post a comment here and let us know what it is.

We will talk more about the project and reflection paper in class next week.



image:http://www.flickr.com/photos/37563486@N06/3514051086/sizes/o/

6 comments:

Lori said...

I feel like I have been using or used several of the things we learned in class....I used my blog, wiki, slot machine, text in a poll, etc. however, I have not done any major project where the students are more involved. I was thinking of giving the students an option to use prezi for a presentation AND as my "nudge" sharing there projects with another science class or some kind of larger audience via internet. I figure this would give me confidence to continue sharing ohter projects in the future.

Debbie McMahon said...

I would like to set up a blog for my classes. I experimented with this trimester 1, but I only started it when the trimester ended. I also want to grow my own professional blog page. I want to organize it with lessons to share and become a part of that other world out there.

MDD said...

I would like to build/create a blog (not the one we did in class) a blog for parents and students to use and keep updated on whats going on in P.E. My goal would be to communicate with parents and other P.E. teachers keeping people updated and sharing ideas. If I go with this blog idea does it need to be up and running or just an idea or work in progress? For this blog to work I need to get my site out there and available to students/parents and others. The 2nd trimester has started and I did not want to give out info to parent how receive my sylabis about a site that doesn't exist YET. good or bad idea?

anearlgirl said...

MDD...if you have a clear purpose for what you want to use the blog for then it could be a good idea. Next week in class we will be focusing on some of the considerations for using blogs and wikis so that may help you sort things out a bit more. You don't necessarily have to have "launched" the blog with students but you have plenty of time to get one created and add content to it before you give out the Url to parents/students.

Mr. Hurley said...

I consider the blog my final project. It is meeting my goal of increased communication with parents. I would also like to do something to educate our staff on personal electronics in the classroom, such as phones and tablets.

Pam said...

My idea is two-fold. First, I want my students to use my class wiki space. Second, I want students to begin to use Google docs as a means of sharing with me, in addition to becoming better peer-editors. It would be wonderful if they could begin to take an active role in polishing their papers instead of waiting for me to comment. Steps I've taken: As for the wiki space, I've made them all members and they had to navigate and post a comment using the discussion tab. Worked very well, and now at least they've had some experience with it. Second, I had my students do an online learning activity, upload it to a Google doc, and share with me. It seems to be working. Again, it's the first step in building a community of sharing in my classes. These first two days of class are just the beginning of the process that I want to keep integrating throughout the tri and beyond.