Thursday, December 1, 2011

Podcasting and Screencasting

http://www.raakesh.com/images/podcasting_icon.jpg
Next week we will be looking at podcasting and screencasting.

Watch this short Common Craft video to learn about Podcasting.

Here is a list of ideas Lisa Nielsen compiled for uses of podcasting in education.

A screencast is basically a video created from a computer desktop to illustrate a process or concept or demonstrate how to do something.

Go to the Khan Academy website which houses thousands of screencasts about different topics. Khan Academy began as an initiative to allow people to learn math concepts which is why the site is heavy on math content but is now expanding to other subject areas. Scroll down the page to browse the available titles. Find a couple screencasts interesting to you and watch them. (I watched the one on the electoral college and learned a lot.)

Read this blog post from an english teacher who is using screencasting to grade student papers.
For those interested, here is her follow up post that shows real student examples that she posted as a result of people commenting on her post and asking her to share them.

Here's an easy way to integrate Twitter and screencasting.

What do think about podcasting and screencasting?
Do you see it filling purpose or need in classrooms? Share your thoughts and ideas.

7 comments:

Debbie McMahon said...

I have been to the Khanacademy site several times now. I could use it for absent students, they could go there and get the lesson they missed. I could use it if I were absent and wanted to teach a math lesson. I have added the link to Khanacademy to my class blogs.

MDD said...

looks nice and sounds easy to use! could be useful for students that miss class or are home bound. Simply create a podcast and the student can now do the workout/homework at home nice idea but, feedback, motivation from teacher, corrections and differentiated instruction when needed would note be available until the results of the lesson where turned in or VIEWED by the teacher. I like the idea and see it being useful BUT PLEASE LETS NOT REPLACE THE TEACHERS AND SCHOOLS WITH WATCHING PODCAST AT HOME WITH NO SOCIAL INTERACTION AND BEING TOTALLY ISOLATED FROM OTHER PEOPLE!

Lori said...

I love how helpful the screencasts can be. I also think using it as a tool to verbally grade papers is great for the students but like MDD said lets not replace it with the actual social interaction. I believe the screencast grading is better than just grading by hand however it is more time consuming. Technology seems to be leading to larger student/teacher ratio instead of lower and therefore it would be hard to grade so many. However, I would not be surprised if in the FUTURE it would be easier to grade papers via screencast style.

Debbie McMahon said...

I agree with MDD, Podcasts should never replace an actual teacher. It is just another eduacation tool.

Mr. Hurley said...

I love podcasting. It is one of my favorite ways to relax. I recommend downloading an app like Stitcher for your smartphone; Stitcher allows you to stream without downloading. My favorite part about podcasts is that it brings the learning community to you. I have listened to various speakers at events that I was not able to go to and was able to get great information out of it.

Screen casts are great also. I like the thought of one math teacher demonstrating how to do a problem and a student having the ability to see another teacher demonstrating that same way of doing the problem.

Anonymous said...

I was not familiar with podcasting or screencasting before now. Having viewed the blog posts from the English teacher who is using screencasting to grade student essays, I was intrigued. I can certainly see the personal individualized "tutoring" as being beneficial to student writers, but the teacher end still seems a bit overwhelming to me.

Pam said...

I still need to learn more about this. Being a talk radio geek, Mr. Hurley encouraged me to upload itunes for podcasts and such, which I did a month or so ago. Still haven't even looked at it and have never even seen/heard one. I agree with Pamela about the teacher using screencasts to discuss papers with students. Looks cool, but this doesn't cut down on grading time, nor does it put more of the responsibility onto students. But, I do really think I might be able to do something like that, maybe just not so wordy, especially since the technique fits well with my ideas for my final project of using Google docs as a sharing/editing tool.